When Simon, Steve, and I started Write1Sub1 to follow in the footsteps of legendary author Ray Bradbury, we had high hopes for ourselves and for every participant willing to take this challenge head on. But did we expect over 40 participants to have more than 500 poems and stories published by over 140 markets? Wow. I need to read those numbers again!
Write1Sub1 works. It's gotten us to submit fresh material in a timely fashion, to write stories that might not have been written otherwise, and it's forced us out of our comfort zones into new habits of consistent writing, editing, and submitting. And here's something pretty cool: 9 of our participants saw their flash fiction featured this week in a special "Spotlight on Write1Sub1" in Apollo's Lyre. Thank you, Mr. Bradbury, for inspiring us.
What's ahead? There will be a few changes around here, but otherwise it'll be the same challenge in 2012 with Weekly and Monthly participant levels, and you can look forward to the same community spirit W1S1 has come to be known for. We're all in this together, and it's never too late to join!
As for the changes:
- Starting in January, the Halls of Fame will become the Hall of Fame. We'll no longer list the markets accepting participants' work. (Curious about where we've sold our stories? Check out our websites!)
- The Hall of Fame will list participants whose work has been accepted, and each participant will start out at zero. Whether we're 2011 veterans or 2012 virgins, we start at the same level.
- Only acceptances of 2012 work will be included in the Hall of Fame. Acceptances of 2011 poems/stories will not count (as part of the level playing field in 2012).
- We've added a special page for paid sales: Published Work$. All acceptances will be included in the Hall of Fame, but Published Work$ will highlight participants who have earned money for their W1S1 efforts, whether it's been enough to buy a burrito or pay the mortgage. In the Weekly Check-in on Sundays, participants can state whether our acceptances are paid sales, and we'll be added to the Published Work$ page once the link to our online/print story is available.
- Many of us are working on novels in addition to our short fiction, and we'll be sharing about our progress in the Weekly Check-ins. But remember that Write1Sub1 is all about our short fiction, first and foremost.
- And lastly but not leastly, there will be a Write1Sub1 Anthology in the works next year. Ain't that cool? So stay tuned for details!
We're almost there, folks. The finish line for Write1Sub1 2011 is just a few days away. Keep up the good work, and let's spread the word:
Write1Sub1 RELOADED is right around the corner!